Archive for 08/24/13
The Palacio Real de Madrid is the official residence of the Spanish Royal Family at the city of Madrid, but is only used for state ceremonies. King Juan Carlos and the Royal Family do not reside in the palace, choosing instead the more modest Palacio de la Zarzuela on the outskirts of Madrid. The palace is owned by the Spanish State and administered by the Patrimonio Nacional, a public agency of the Ministry of the Presidency. The palace is located on Bailén Street, in the Western part of down-town Madrid, East of the Manzanares River, and is accessible from the Ópera metro station. Several rooms in the palace are regularly open to the public, except during state functions.
The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is a museum of modern and contemporary art, designed by Canadian-American architect Frank Gehry and located in Bilbao, Basque Country, Spain. It is built alongside the Nervion River, which runs through the city of Bilbao to the Atlantic Coast. The Guggenheim is one of several museums belonging to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation. The museum features permanent and visiting exhibits of works by Spanish and international artists. One of the most admired works of contemporary architecture, the building has been hailed as a "signal moment in the architectural culture", because it represents "one of those rare moments when critics, academics, and the general public were all completely united about something." The museum was the building most frequently named as one of the most important works completed since 1980 in the 2010 World Architecture Survey among architecture experts.
The Palace of San Telmo is a historical edifice in Seville, southern Spain, now the seat of the presidency of the Andalusian Autonomous Government. Construction of the building began in 1682 outside the walls of the city, on property belonging to the Tribunal of the Holy Office, the institution responsible for the Spanish Inquisition. It was originally constructed as the seat of the Seminary School of the University of Navigators, a school of orphan children of sailors.The palace is one of the emblematic buildings of Sevillian Baroque architecture. It is built on a rectangular plan, with several interior courtyards, including a central courtyard, towers on the four corners, a chapel, and gardens. The exuberantly baroque chapel, accessed from one of the courtyards, is the work of architect Leonardo de Figueroa; among those involved in its decoration were sculptor Pedro Duque y Cornejo, stonecutter Miguel de Quintana, painter Domingo Martínez, and carpenter Juan Tomás Díaz. Presiding over the chapel is an early 17th century statue of "Our Lady of Good Air".
The Chinese garden, also known as a Chinese classical garden, recreates natural landscapes in miniature. The style has evolved for more than three thousand years, and includes both the vast gardens of the Chinese emperors and smaller gardens built by scholars, poets, and former government officials. The classical Chinese garden is enclosed by a wall and has one or more ponds, a rock garden, trees and flowers, and an assortment of halls and pavilions within the garden, connected by winding paths and zig-zag galleries. By moving from structure to structure, visitors can view a series of carefully composed scenes, unrolling like a scroll of landscape paintings. A Chinese garden was not meant to be seen all at once; the plan of a classical Chinese garden presented the visitor with a series of perfectly composed and framed glimpses of scenery; a view of a pond, or of a rock, or a grove of bamboo, a blossoming tree, or a view of a distant mountain peak or a pagoda.
Città del Mare Hotel Village, located on the northwest coast of Sicily, offers a superb view on the Gulf of Castellammare. Surrounded by a natural and blooming park, boasting remarkable exemplars of exotic and typical Mediterranean plants, Città del Mare is shaped into a terrace-forming ground, facing the seaside, and it is the ideal site for holidays offering a wide range of services, a completeness of sport and entertainment activities. Carved into the side of the cliffs and heading straight into the Mediterranean, the waterslide at Città del Mare offers three levels of water fun. So rather than one long trip down, you can start at the top and take breaks in the beautiful pools set in between. There are plenty of other pools at the resort to enjoy, including an Olympic size pool, the small Lago dei Fiori salt water pool with magnificent views of the Gulf, a whirlpool and of course spas.
Madrid is the European city with the highest number of trees and green surface per inhabitant and it has the second highest number of aligned trees in the world, with 248,000 units, only exceeded by Tokyo. Madrid's citizens have access to a green area within a 15 minute walk. Since 1997, green areas have increased by 16%. At present, 8.2% of Madrid's grounds are green areas, meaning that there are 16 m2 of green area per inhabitant, far exceeding the 10 m2 per inhabitant recommended by the World Health Organization. Buen Retiro Park, formerly the grounds of the palace built for Felipe IV, is Madrid's most popular park and the largest park in central Madrid. Its area is more than 1.4 km² and it is located very close to the Puerta de Alcalá and not far from the Prado Museum. A magnificent park, filled with beautiful sculpture and monuments, galleries, a peaceful lake and host to a variety of events, it is one of Madrid's premier attractions. The park is entirely surrounded by the present-day city.
Trentino is an autonomous province of Italy. Trentino is, along with South Tyrol, one of the two provinces which make up the region of Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol, which is designated an autonomous region under the constitution. Its capital is the town of Trento, historically known in English as Trent. The province covers an area of more than 6,000 km2, with a total population of about 0.5 million. Trentino is renowned for its mountains, such as the Dolomites, which are part of the Alps. The history of Trentino begins in the mid-Stone Age. The valleys of what is now Trentino were already inhabited by man, the main settlements being in the valley of the Adige River, thanks to its milder climate.
Aswan, formerly spelled Assuan, is a city in the south of Egypt, the capital of the Aswan Governorate. Aswan is a busy market and tourist center located just north of the Aswan Dams on the east bank of the Nile at the first cataract. The modern city has expanded and includes the formerly separate community on the island of Elephantine.Aswan is the ancient city of Swentet, which in antiquity was the frontier town of Ancient Egypt facing the south. Swentet is supposed to have derived its name from an Egyptian goddess with the same name. This goddess later was identified as Eileithyia by the Greeks and Lucina by the Romans during their occupation of Ancient Egypt because of the similar association of their goddesses with childbirth, and of which the import is "the opener". The ancient name of the city also is said to be derived from the Egyptian symbol for trade.
Hierapolis, "sacred city", was an ancient Greco-Roman city in Phrygia located on hot springs in southwest Anatolia. Its ruins are adjacent to modern Pamukkale, Turkey. Hierapolis is located in the Menderes River valley adjacent to the modern Turkish city of Pamukkale and nearby Denizli. It is located in Turkey's inner Aegean region, which has a temperate climate for most of the year. Hierapolis is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The hot springs there have been used as a spa since the 2nd century BCE, and people came to soothe their ailments, with many of them retiring or dying here. The large necropolis is filled with sarcophagi, including the Sarcophagus of Marcus Aurelius Ammianos. The great baths were constructed with huge stone blocks without the use of cement, and consisted of various closed or open sections linked together. There are deep niches in the inner section of the bath, library, gymnasium and other closed or open locations. The complex, which was constructed in the 2nd century BCE, constitutes a good example of vault type architecture. The complex is now an archaeological museum.
Devetashka cave is one of the biggest caves in Bulgaria but it is most famous for its amazing history. It is also currently home to nearly 30,000 bats. Devetashka cave is located 18 kilometers northeast of Lovech and 2 kilometers away from the village of Devetaki. The cave is also known as Maarata or Oknata for its seven different-sized holes in the ceiling, through which sunlight penetrates and illuminates the central hall and part of its two fields. To reach the cave one can walk along a narrow path by the river, starting from the village of Devetaki, or access it directly from Road 301 via a 400 m long dirt road and an ugly concrete bridge which was constructed in 2011 for the filming of The Expendables 2. In the beginning of the 1950s, serious explorations of the cave were held, concerning its transformation into a warehouse. The studies showed that the Devetashka cave used to be inhabited (with some interruptions) during almost every historical era. The earliest traces of human presence date back to the middle of the Early Stone Age before about 70,000 years BC. The Devetashka cave is among the cave deposits with the richest cultural artifacts from the Neolithic (6th millennium - 4t h millennium BC).
Lios Aird (Gaelic meaning high fort) is located on the original site of a ring fort and souterrain with a commanding outlook over the surrounding countryside. The 150 acres of gardens, ponds and forest offer an experience that has been described as one of space, perception and peacefulness. With acres upon of acres of gardens and trails, the woodland walks with their specially designed pathways offer guests a truly contemplative experience with enchanting vistas around every corner. Liss Ard has been planned to reveal a collection of 'garden rooms': the lakeside walk, the waterfall garden, the woodland garden, the water garden and arboretum and the wild-flower meadow. And one of the greatest surprises is the living art featured in the Irish Sky Garden: the giant earth and stone works, The Crater, by famed artist James Turrell, with its contemplative 'Vault Purchase' or plinth at its centre. As a landscape feature The Crater has encouraged many landscape architects to make their pilgrimage to Liss Ard over the years, but it is also an enlightening experience for the solitary surveyor, lying on their back on the 'Vault Purchase', gazing up through the Craters 'bowl' at the sky.
Prefabricated housing design by Guy Dessauges, From the vaults of ancient caves and Roman art, the concept has remained mis-path. A half circle. The roof is resistant to pressures much larger than the flat ceiling. For the same quality materials. He wondered why, he could not use the cylinder to build a home. The only problem was the cylinder diameter. He had to have a diameter large enough to install two floors. The idea crystallized in ten minutes. He built a model and characters wide. Both formats have emerged fairly quickly. The diameter of 6 meters and the 8 meters. These two diameters suitable for a human being 180 cm. By manufacturing many models he was thinking the advantages and disadvantages of the cylindrical shape. he discovered pretty quickly that he should consider the benefits. Another advantage if he turned the cylinder itself, the whistle gave shade to the front. In a jiffy, he had several solutions.
This business-friendly Dubai hotel is 5 kilometers from Dubai International Airport and offers an airport shuttle. The Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre is within 1 kilometer. The Fairmont Dubai has a health club, an outdoor pool, and a sauna. Covering 40,000 square feet, The Spa offers on-site massage and beauty services within its eight dedicated treatment rooms. Couples treatment rooms are available. Separate male and female areas feature a spa tub area with Turkish Hammam inspired steam rooms, an invigorating ice shower and relaxing foot baths. The business center, covering 1,043 square meters (11,227 square feet) offers 18 meeting/conference rooms. Technology support staff are on hand to assist guests, and wireless Internet access is available for a surcharge.
Do you like have a good time to sit and chit chat with your friends and family? Or you like to gossip over with a cup of coffee? If you do, now we will take a time to talk about your lounge area at your home. How to create more space to sit and have a good time with your friends, providing a comfortable, close, private, and relaxation place. For more idea, you can put a conversation lounge and sitting area into your interior or your outdoor with a fancy style in your living room. For the example is the sofas lounge and sitting area are in center of pool that will look so exotic at night with the glow of candles and moonlight. But it requires a large space to get full effect. If you want to get a similar atmosphere you can get it with set the furniture to the central point. So, everyone interest to sit and have a good conversation also relax.
Hằng Nga guesthouse, popularly known as the “Crazy House”, is an unconventional building designed and constructed by Vietnamese woman architect Đặng Việt Nga in Đà Lạt, Vietnam. Described as a “fairy tale house”, the building’s overall design resembles a giant tree, incorporating sculptured design elements representing natural forms such as animals, mushrooms, spider webs and caves. Its architecture, comprising complex, organic, non-rectilinear shapes, has been described as expressionist. Nga has acknowledged the inspiration of Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí in the building’s design, and visitors have variously drawn parallels between it and the works of artists such as Salvador Dalí and Walt Disney. Since its opening in 1990, the building has gained recognition for its unique architecture, being highlighted in numerous guidebooks and listed as one of the world’s ten most “bizarre” buildings in the Chinese People's Daily.
Peleș Castle is a Neo-Renaissance castle in the Carpathian Mountains, near Sinaia, in Prahova County, Romania, on an existing medieval route linking Transylvania and Wallachia, built between 1873 and 1914. Its inauguration was held in 1883. King Carol I of Romania (1839–1914), under whose reign the country gained its independence, first visited the site of the future castle in 1866 and fell in love with the magnificent mountain scenery. In 1872, the Crown purchased 1,300 square kilometres of land near the Piatra Arsă River. The estate was named the Royal Estate of Sinaia. The monarchy commissioned the construction of a royal hunting preserve and summer retreat on the property, and the foundation was laid for Peleș Castle on 22 August 1873. Several auxiliary buildings were built simultaneously with the castle: the guards' chambers, the Economat Building, the Foişor hunting lodge, the royal stables, and a power plant. Peleș became the world's first castle fully powered by locally produced electricity.
The Château de Marqueyssac is a 17th century château and gardens located at Vézac, in the Dordogne Department of France. The château was built at the end of the 17th century by Bertrand Vernet de Marqueyssac, Counselor to Louis XIV, on cliffs overlooking the Dordogne Valley. The original garden à la française was attributed to a pupil of André Le Nôtre, and featured terraces, alleys, and a kitchen garden surrounding the chateau. Between 1830 and 1840, Julien Bessières constructed a chapel and a grand alley one hundred meters long for horseback rides. In the 1860s, the new owner, Julien de Cervel, began to plant thousands of boxwood trees today there are over 150,000 - and had them carved in fantastic shapes, many in groups of rounded shapes like flocks of sheep. He also added linden trees, cypress trees, and stone pine from Italy, and introduced the cyclamen from Naples. Following the romantic style, he built rustic structures, redesigned the parterres, and laid out five kilometers of walks.
The coconut palm , Cocos nucifera, is a member of the family Arecaceae, palm family. It is the only accepted species in the genus Cocos. The term coconut can refer to the entire coconut palm, the seed, or the fruit, which, botanically, is a drupe, not a nut. The spelling cocoanut is an archaic form of the word. The term is derived from 16th century Portuguese and Spanish coco, meaning "head" or "skull", from the three small holes on the coconut shell that resemble human facial features, giving name to a bugbear. Found throughout the tropic and subtropic area, the coconut is known for its great versatility as seen in the many domestic, commercial, and industrial uses of its different parts. Coconuts are part of the daily diet of many people.
I could not find the location of this image, anyway there is a myth behind tree like these, i think you will like it, go ahead and enjoy. A dryad is a tree nymph, that is a female spirit of a tree, in Greek mythology. In Greek drys signifies "oak". Thus dryads are specifically the nymphs of oak trees, though the term has come to be used for all tree nymphs in general. "Such deities are very much overshadowed by the divine figures defined through poetry and cult," Walter Burkert remarked of Greek nature deities. They were normally considered to be very shy creatures, except around the goddess Artemis, who was known to be a friend to most nymphs.
The Torre del Oro, also known as "Gold Tower", is a dodecagonal military watchtower in Seville, southern Spain, built by the Almohad dynasty in order to control access to Seville via the Guadalquivir river. Constructed in the first third of the 13th century, the tower served as a prison during the Middle Ages. Its name comes from the golden shine it projected on the river, due to its building materials a mixture of mortar, lime and pressed hay. The tower is divided into three levels, with the third and uppermost being circular in shape and added in 1769. This tower has a lesser-known half sister: the Torre de la Plata, an octagonal tower. It is one of two anchor points for a large chain that would have been able to block the river. The other anchor-point has since been demolished or disappeared, possibly from collapsing during the 1755 Lisbon Earthquake.
The Institute for Computational Design (ICD) and the Institute of Building Structures and Structural Design (ITKE), together with students at the University of Stuttgart have realized a temporary, bionic research pavilion made of wood at the intersection of teaching and research. The project explores the architectural transfer of biological principles of the sea urchin’s plate skeleton morphology by means of novel computer-based design and simulation methods, along with computer-controlled manufacturing methods for its building implementation. A particular innovation consists in the possibility of effectively extending the recognized bionic principles and related performance to a range of different geometries through computational processes, which is demonstrated by the fact that the complex morphology of the pavilion could be built exclusively with extremely thin sheets of plywood.